UAN Number stands for Universal Account Number and it is a 12 digit number which is issued by the Employees Provident Fund Organization to each and every employee. The number serves as a unique identification key for each and every Provident Fund account.
Earlier, the process of maintaining PF account was full of troubles but now, the government has streamlined the process with help of UAN Number. It is now possible to transfer the PF balance from one account to another when you change job. The UAN number also facilitates other things like getting a copy of online passbook or checking the balance of the PF account.
Finding the UAN Number
You must also have a UAN Number and you would first need to activate the UAN Number. If in case you do not have the details of your UAN Number then you can find the UAN Number through the online portal just like you find your Aadhaar Number. The UAN Number should also be mentioned on your salary slip and if you are not able to find the UAN Number then you can also contact the company HR to get the details. If in case, nothing works for you then follow the process mentioned below to find the UAN Number.
- You can start by navigating to the UAN Portal and once the website is displayed, click on Know Your UAN Status. You can alternatively click here to be redirected to the page directly.
- A new page will now be displayed. On this page, the first column is the most important column and you need to enter one of the following details.
- Member ID or Provident Fund Number
- Aadhaar Number or
- PAN Number.
- Once you have entered one of the above-mentioned details, you can enter your name, date of birth, mobile number and email id. Ensure that the Mobile Number entered by you is the one registered with your establishment.
- After entering all the details, enter the captcha code and click on Get Authorization Pin. This will trigger an OTP request and you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- On the next page, Check the I Agree on Box and enter the OTP received in the designated area. After entering the OTP click on Get UAN button. You will now receive your UAN Number along with the status of the UAN.
Activating the UAN Number
After finding you UAN Number, the next important step is to activate the UAN Number. There are many ways to activate UAN Number and you can follow one of these to activate the UAN Number
Activating the UAN Number through Web Portal
It is possible to activate the UAN through web portal as well and here are the steps for the same.
- Navigate to the UAN Portal and Click on the Activate UAN Link at the bottom of the page. Alternatively, you can also click here to be redirected directly to the UAN Activation page.
- On the page, enter one of the following details in the first column and select the appropriate radio button.
- UAN Number
- PF Number
- Aadhaar Number or
- PAN Number.
- Now, proceed with entering the other details as well and click on Get Authorization Pin after getting Captcha Code. This will trigger an OTP request and you will receive an OTP Number on your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP after checking the I Agree Button and your UAN will now be activated.
Activating the UAN Number through SMS
If you have all the details like the UAN Number, PF Number, Sand your Mobile number is registered with the PF number then you can also activate the UAN with help of a simple SMS. Here is how you can do it.
Simply Type the message in the following format EPFOHO<Space>ACT, <12 Digit UAN Number>, <22 Digit PF Number>
This message needs to be forwarded to 7738299899 and your UAN Number will be activated. You will receive a confirmation regarding the same.
This is how you can activate your UAN and you must do it as soon as possible if you haven’t done it already. In addition to this, you must also link your Aadhaar Card with your UAN number if it is still not linked and this would certainly come handy in future.
How to register your UAN?
Employee Provident Fund Organization is trying to address all the gaps in the process of UAN Allocation and they are trying to optimize the process so as to ensure that people do not face any problem. During the analysis phase, they found out that there is usually a delay in employee registration by the employer which basically delays the UAN allocation for the employee.
So to address the issue, EPFO made it possible for the employee to generate his own UAN. This was all made possible with help of Aadhaar and this way, EPFO is also able to ensure that each employee has one UAN allocated to him. Another advantage of this process is that it would cut down the delays and it will also help the employer by reducing his workload. The employee can now get his UAN before starting his first job and he can then share his UAN with his employer so as to get it synced to the PF account. Below is the process of registering your UAN Number
Process to Register your UAN Number
There is a pre-requirement of this process and as per the pre-requirement, you should have two of these following things
- You must have your Aadhaar Number with you.
- Your mobile number must be linked to your Aadhaar Number for the registration of UAN
If you meet the above pre-requirements then you can move on with the process below or else obtain your Aadhaar number and register your mobile number with Aadhaar to get your UAN Number
- You need to visit the member’s portal of EPFO. This can be accessed by going directly to the link mentioned below.
Member Portal – https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Once the portal is displayed, you can go the section for the Important Link. Under this section, you will find a link for Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment. All you have to do is that you have to click on this link to start this 1-minute process of getting your UAN. If you are not able to find the link then you can also click here
- A new page will now be displayed and you will notice that there is only one section on this page. This section is to enter your Aadhaar Number. Hence enter your Aadhaar Number and click on Generate OTP button. Now, enter your OTP in the designated area to verify your Aadhaar Number.
- Again a new page will be displayed and you will notice that all the details on this new page are populated all by itself. This is done with help of the UIDAI database.
- On the same page, you will have a link to Obtain Your UAN and you need to click on this button. Once you are done, you will receive a message on your Mobile Number with the UAN Number.
You have your own UAN Number now and this can be given to the employer. Before you login to the portal, you will have to activate the UAN and the process of activation is mentioned below. In addition to this, if there are any details which need to be modified then you can do so by logging in to the UAN Portal with help of your UAN and the password that you will receive after the activation of UAN.